Menu
Cuzz Media

Cuzz Media

Cuzz Media is part of t...

NAB VICTIM

NAB VICTIM

In late 2008 we became vi...

Banking In Australia Today

Banking In Australia Today

Visit Banking in Austra...

Donate Please

Donate Please

We need your support. ...

Prev Next
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Pell: Church sacked whistleblowers?

Pell: Church sacked whistleblowers? 1 week 5 days ago #4300

  • DesiredUserName
  • DesiredUserName's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1141
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 0
ExclusiveNationalVictoriaPell verdict

Church knew Pell was at centre of decades-old lurid sex claims
Barney Zwartz
By Barney Zwartz
March 7, 2019 — 11.55am

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Send via Email

The claims were lurid and unverified so Helen Last, the counsellor hired by the Catholic Church in Melbourne to assist victims of clerical abuse, agonised before reporting them to her superiors.

It was 1996 and the newly appointed archbishop, George Pell, had just set up the Melbourne Response to handle the rising numbers of sex abuse claims received by the archdiocese.
Cardinal George Pell leaving the County Court last week.

Cardinal George Pell leaving the County Court last week.Credit:Justin McManus

An ex-seminarian known as ‘‘Joe’’ came forward alleging that Pell and several other priests had, 10 to 15 years earlier, been having sex with Mannix College trainee clerics at ‘‘parties … involving young men’’.

Joe was not a strong witness. He wanted $20,000 for compromising photographs which appeared to be of Pell and others engaged in sexual acts but could not produce the negatives. Despite this, Ms Last felt she could not dismiss Joe's allegations.
Advertisement
Related Article
11/12/18 Cardinal George Pell leaves the County Court after being found guilty of sexually assaulting two choirboys in 1996 in Melbourne on 11 December 2018. Photograph by Chris Hopkins
Catholic church
'Grievously wounded': Archbishops tackle Pell child-sex abuse conviction at Sunday mass

She reported the claims to her superior and also to the vicar-general, Monsignor Gerald Cudmore (who died in 2007).

‘‘He was shocked, and said ‘we have to do something’,’’ she said.

Ms Last says she developed suspicions about Pell very early during her work with the Archdiocese of Melbourne.

She heard many stories from victims of clergy sexual abuse in different parishes, especially that Pell knew what was happening and was protecting priests who were abusing children.

‘‘It was alleged to me early that Pell was among a group of offenders from Ballarat to Melbourne. They were part of the Ballarat organised clerical offending, which extended down to Laverton and around Melbourne.’’

While the credibility of the claims made by ‘‘Joe’’ was never substantiated, a detailed memo of the ex-seminarian’s allegations, seen by The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald, demonstrates that the church was aware of complaints about Pell’s character dating back more than 20 years.
Helen Last says she had suspicions about George Pell for years.

Helen Last says she had suspicions about George Pell for years.Credit:Paul Jeffers

In the light of Pell’s conviction for sexual abuse of two choirboys in 1996, The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald believe there is public interest in revealing the trail of complaints that have dogged the cardinal’s career.

If the ex-seminarian’s claims are included, there are nine known allegations about sexual misconduct against Pell, ranging from exposure to assault, although only two – his sexual abuse of the choirboys – have been upheld by a court.

Rumours have surrounded the cardinal, especially among survivors of abuse and their advocates, for many years. Some of the allegations might seem preposterous at first but the same argument was made by some about the choirboy's claim that he and another boy were assaulted more than 20 years ago. This makes the other allegations more relevant.

Ms Last’s contract was terminated in May 1997 as a result, she claims, of her defying explicit instructions from archbishop Pell and then vicar-general Denis Hart to stay away from the Doveton parish, which suffered six paedophiles in succession as parish priest or assistant priest.
Current Time 4:23
/
Duration 9:19

George Pell's police interview video [excerpt]

George Pell's police interview video [excerpt]

Hayley - People told me 'you had no right'

George Pell's police interview video [excerpt]

The County Court has released the video of the cardinal’s interview conducted by Victorian police in Rome on October 19, 2016. This is an excerpt of the 42-minute interview.
Hayley - People told me 'you had no right'
0.48
Up next
Hayley - People told me 'you had no right'
Rose - He was 'sort of proud that I'd tracked him down'
0.59
Rose - He was 'sort of proud that I'd tracked him down'
Learn to save lives this summer
1.26
Learn to save lives this summer
'He's taken my son away': Pell's victim's father speaks out
5.45
'He's taken my son away': Pell's victim's father speaks out
More women are taking up self defence
2.32
More women are taking up self defence
Boy and woman bitten by dingo on Fraser Island
0.23
Boy and woman bitten by dingo on Fraser Island

One Doveton priest was the deranged Peter Searson, who wandered the Catholic school in military clothing, sometimes carried a gun, stabbed a bird with a screwdriver and tortured a cat. He was also molesting many children.

A teacher at the time, Carmel Rafferty – whose attempts at whistle-blowing ended her career in Catholic education – said a delegation went to Pell, Searson’s bishop, to share their concerns, but these were dismissed. Pell told the royal commission that this was because he was deceived by archbishop Frank Little and the education office.

After she was sacked and the pastoral response office closed, Ms Last set up In Good Faith and Associates to support survivors. She also set up the Melbourne Victims’ Collective, which has 120 members who complain they were traumatised by the Melbourne Response.

‘‘I believe Pell set up the Melbourne Response partly to protect himself. I believed that from the beginning ... He had no understanding of victim care,’’ she says.
Melbourne Archbishop Peter A. Comensoli.

Melbourne Archbishop Peter A. Comensoli.Credit:AAP

Ms Last believes the Melbourne Response files should be subpoenaed and the decision in each case examined.

In 2015 she submitted her correspondence with the church over the Joe memo to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

It is believed that ‘‘Joe’’ has not pursued the matter. The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald have been unable to contact him.

The new Archbishop of Melbourne, Peter A. Comensoli, says he does not know of any other historic accusations from Pell’s time in Melbourne, apart from those that had already been before the court.

‘‘No. Only the Ballarat one and the trial’s not going ahead. There’s nothing in his files, and our files stop with when he finished up here.’’

However, correspondence seen by this masthead shows that the independent commissioner, Peter O’Callaghan, QC, investigated the seminary allegations, asking Ms Last to send him ‘‘the remainder of your files … as quickly as possible.’’

Approached last week, Mr O’Callaghan said that because the matter of Pell remains before the courts, ‘‘I must not and will not make any comments on the matters you raised.’’

Pell, who is to be sentenced next week, maintains his innocence of all claims and will appeal his conviction of sexually assaulting the two choirboys at a hearing set down for June 5 and 6.

One of the three men who have claimed Pell touched them improperly in Ballarat swimming pools in the 1970s intends to sue the cardinal for damages, and the other two are expected to give evidence in that case.

The ‘‘swimming pool’’ trial did not go ahead after the judge ruled certain evidence was inadmissible.

Then there is the allegation that Pell fondled a boy at a camp at Phillip Island in 1961. In his 2002 investigation on behalf of the Sydney archdiocese, retired Supreme Court judge Alec Southwell found both the boy, Phil Scott, and Pell to be credible witnesses. He also found the complaint could not be established.

In 2016, Torquay resident Les Tyack went public with allegations he submitted to the royal commission and to the police that he saw Pell expose himself for many minutes to three boys at the local surf life saving club in the 1980s.
George Pell outside St Patrick's Cathedral in 1998.

George Pell outside St Patrick's Cathedral in 1998.Credit:Joe Castro

In the pre-trial hearing for the second Pell trial, which was eventually abandoned, the prosecutors outlined claims from a Victorian man who told police that in 1975 or 1976, when he was 10, he slipped off Pell’s shoulders while playing in a lake near Swan Hill and made accidental contact with the priest’s erect penis. Pell was alleged to have told the boy: ‘‘Don’t worry, it’s only natural.’’

The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald have been told other allegations have been made to the royal commission, but the commission will not release its own findings about George Pell until the appeal against his conviction has been heard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

News

Major Topics

Helpful Resources

Socialize

About Us