Visit Banking in Austra...

Donate Please

Donate Please

We need your support. ...

Prev Next
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Mokbel Royal Commission Update

Mokbel Royal Commission Update 3 months 4 days ago #4475

• Scrag
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
After 127 days of public hearings and dozens of high profile witnesses, a royal commission into turncoat gangland lawyer Nicola Gobbo is set to wrap up.

The inquiry into Victoria Police's use of Lawyer X as an informer will end on Friday, but will continue to investigate policy issues surrounding management of informers with legal obligations.

Commissioner Margaret McMurdo is due to hand down a report on her findings on July 1.

The inquiry has examined Ms Gobbo's three periods as a registered police informer.
ADVERTISING
Ads by Teads

She was first recruited as a law student in 1995 when she turned on a former boyfriend for drug dealing.

In 1999 she was registered again while trying to offer police tips on fellow lawyers she accused of money laundering.

Her longest stint ran from 2005 until 2009 when she gave evidence against clients, including drug kingpin Tony Mokbel and underworld killer Carl Williams.

Ms Gobbo admitted she had acted as an agent for police instead of in the best interest of her clients.

"Was I accumulating information and, on one level, trying to impress people? Yes I was," she said.

"Do I regret it now? Yes. Every day."

The inquiry has heard from more than 100 witnesses, most of whom gave evidence in the public hearings.

Among them were former chief commissioners Simon Overland, Christine Nixon and Ken Lay, prominent gangland investigators including former Purana Taskforce boss Jim O'Brien and detective Stuart Bateson, and a number of handlers who directly managed Ms Gobbo and her tips.

Ms Gobbo was one of the last witnesses to give evidence, ordered to appear despite efforts to be excused on health grounds.

Crooks previously represented by Ms Gobbo - some who turned informer on her advice - also gave evidence.

Inspector John Nolan and former detective senior sergeant Shane O'Connell are expected to be the final witnesses on Friday, when lawyers will also make closing remarks.

Australian Associated Press
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 1.084 seconds

News

Major Topics

Helpful Resources

Socialize

About Us